Medical University of South Carolina Secondary Essay Prompts
These are the secondary application essay prompts for Medical University of South Carolina (MUSC) College of Medicine. To put your best foot forward and maximize your chance of an interview invitation, visit our secondary application editing page.
about Medical University of South Carolina
Secondary Deadline: December 15, 2023
Secondary Fee: $95
FAP Waiver: Case by Case Basis
CASPer Required: No
Screens Applications: No
Accepts Application Updates: Yes/MUSC Website
The College of Medicine, as an integral part of the Medical University of South Carolina, is dedicated to the University’s education, research and service missions. In doing so, the College is committed to maintaining an educational environment for all students that prepares them for a career of excellence in the practice of medicine and in the service to their communities. We recognize the need to engender and support life-long learning to sustain and expand competence and performance throughout the physician’s career and we acknowledge the importance of interdisciplinary and interprofessional education in the provision of accessible, high-quality health services.
To support these educational goals, the College is committed to the continued development and expansion of biomedical research to extend the boundaries of health care for all people. Further, we support enhancement of research directed to improving access, enhancing quality and controlling costs of health care. These commitments are manifest through active participation in a medical center with broad capabilities and responsibility for the provision of primary, as well as tertiary/quaternary health services for citizens in the state. We continue to nurture strong programs in primary health care to support current and future educational, research and service requirements.
We believe that these objectives are best obtained through ensuring optimal opportunities for all constituents-students, faculty and administration, including all backgrounds and levels of diversity, to achieve full potential. Additionally, the College is committed to the development and prudent use of resources to achieve its mission.
2. We desire to train students and physicians to work with the diverse patients of our state and nation. Please share any important aspects of your background, identity, and/or experiences that have impacted your ability to relate to and work with diverse communities and patient populations. (3000 characters)
3. For re-applicants- If you are a re-applicant, please describe what you have done since last applying (i.e. your activities, involvement, preparedness, etc.) to strengthen your candidacy for medical school. (2000 characters)
4. For out-of-state applicants- If you are not a legal resident of South Carolina, please describe in detail your strong Close Ties to South Carolina. Close Ties are defined as: (1) Having lived in SC for multiple years, (2) Parents who currently live full-time in SC, (3) Completed the majority of your education in SC (i.e. enrolled in or graduate of an undergraduate and/or graduate degree from a South Carolina institution), (4) and/or Currently living in and/or working in South Carolina. (3000 characters)
Apparently there are no essay questions to write for the MUSC MD secondary process.
When you get an email from them, click on a link in that email called either “Cost to Apply” or “Start your Application” and you should see what you need to do.
OOS applicants are asked to complete the: Close Ties Declaration Form
MSTP Applicant instructions:
The resume/CV should be a file attachment, and the essay portion has no defined char/word limit.
1. For the Resume/Personal History below, provide the following information in resume or curriculum vitae format:
- education with dates
- past employment
- undergraduate or summer research experience(s) including number of hours in each publication
- academic honors, awards
- extracurricular/community/professional activities
- membership in professional organizations
2. For the Essay section, write a paragraph that includes discussion of the following:
- why do you want to come to MUSC – MUST RESPOND TO THIS
- research you want to pursue in graduate school
2. If it has been more than six months since you completed your bachelor’s degree, please describe your employment status since that time (part-time, full-time, and dates). (2,000 characters max)
3. In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why? (2,000 characters max)
4. What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue? (2,000 characters max)
5. Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant? (2,000 characters max)
What are your medical practice goals?
If it has been more than six months since you completed your bachelor’s degree, please describe your employment status since that time (part-time, full-time, and dates).
In what region of the country do you want to practice medicine? Why?
What areas of medicine are you interested in at this time, or what areas do you plan to pursue?
Do you have any accomplishments or experiences that make you a unique applicant?
There were no secondary application essay prompts for this application cycle.
Disclaimer: The information on this page was shared by students and/or can be found on the medical school’s website. Med School Insiders does not guarantee the accuracy of the information on this page.