Howard University Secondary Essay Prompts
These are the secondary application essay prompts for Howard University College of Medicine. To put your best foot forward and maximize your chance of an interview invitation, visit our secondary application editing page.
about Howard university college of medicine
Secondary Deadline: January 15, 2019
Secondary Fee: $75
FAP Waiver: No
CASPer Required: Yes
Screens Applications: No
Accepts Application Updates: Yes/Email
Howard University College of Medicine provides students of high academic potential with a medical education of exceptional quality and prepares physicians and other health care professionals to serve the underserved. Particular focus is on the education of disadvantaged students for careers in medicine. Emphasis is placed on developing skills and habits of life-long learning and producing world leaders in medicine. Special attention is directed to teaching and research activities that address health care disparities.
The College also seeks to improve the health of Americans and the global community through public health training programs and initiatives. Our mission also includes the discovery of new knowledge through research. Lastly, the College supports the education and training of postgraduate physicians, other health care providers, and graduate students in the biomedical sciences.
The goal of the Howard University College of Medicine is to enhance our global recognition as a medical school of the first rank, known for the excellence of our teaching, research and service. We will continue to be a world leader in the training of competent, compassionate physicians and other health professionals for medically underserved communities and populations. In addition, the College envisions that it will be an exemplar in eliminating health disparities and in finding solutions through research and public health programs for medical problems disproportionately found in disadvantaged communities, both in this nation and abroad.
- Fidelity to our mission and strong and confident belief in our work
- Excellence and integrity in all that we undertake–teaching, research, and service;
- Leadership in medical education and health care, especially for African Americans, other minorities, and the economically disadvantaged;
- Service to our community, the nation, and the world through public health programs, medical care, and health education;
- The unrelenting pursuit of knowledge through research and life-long learning; and
- A commitment to cultural diversity among faculty, staff and students and to ensuring a respectful and ethical academic environment.
All prompts have a 250-word limit.
1. After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community?
2. Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations?
3. Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.)
*No indicated word limit
1. Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged?
2. After residency, do you plan to practice medicine in an underserved or disadvantaged community?
3. Have you worked (volunteer or paid employment) with medically underserved, economically disadvantaged and/or educationally disadvantaged populations?
4. Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.)
The secondary application essay prompts from this medical school application cycle are the same as above.
Disclaimer: The information on this page was shared by students and/or can be found on the medical school’s website. Med School Insiders does not guarantee the accuracy of the information on this page.